This delicious drink recipe combines the nutritional benfits of Yazu+ Korean Citron Tea with the probiotic bacteria of water kefir.
Here are the ingredients:
1 gallon of filtered water (non- chlorinated) or coconut water
4 tbps of Water Kefir grains
1 cup of unrefined sugar
1/2 lemon (optional)
6 tsps of General Mings Yazu+ Citron tea
1. Pour the water into a pot and heat to near boiling (approx. 200F).
2. Add the sugar, stirring it with the wooden spoon until it is dissolved. Remove from heat an allow it to cool down to room temperature.
3. Pour the sweetened water in to the glass vessel of choice (a mason jar works well).
4. Cover with a coffee filter or piece of light cloth and secure with a rubber band.
5. Let ferment at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours, or until the flavor is to your liking. (The temperature of your home will determine the length of fermentation time- warmer is better)
6. To bottle, strain the liquid, reserving the kefir grains for future use. Add 6 tsps of General Mings Yazu+ Citron Tea to the bottle. You can also use General Mings Honey Ginger or Quince Tea.
7. Chill in the refrigerator and drink when ready. Use caution when opening Yazu+ Citron Tea Flavored Water Kefir as the beverage may be carbonated.
* if you use coconut water instead of plain water omit the 1 cup of sugar.
How to Make Water Kefir Video
This video provides step by step instructions how to make Water Kefir. Here are General Mings we use supplies from Cultures for Health and we recommend them to find all you need to make Water Kefir and other great fermented probiotic-rich foods and drinks.